Wednesday, June 17, 2009

My Review On Odesk.com--"Free Information"

Odesk.com is a market place that connects advertisers/buyers and freelancers together. It’s a nice site whereby so many jobs and professional skills can be found. Advertisers are free to post jobs without a fee. Likewise the freelancers, any freelancer can join this site free of charge. They accept everyone; I mean anybody from any part of the world can join them. In odesk, there’re various categories of freelance jobs such as: Writing & Translation, Web Content, Technical Writing, Website Development, Creative Writing, Link Building, among others.

Odesk is a professional site, in the sense that buyers and freelancers enjoy the flexible service from each other. Professional tools are available for accurate and informative job. Freelancers are required to pass many tests and skills so as to acquire suitable profile. Odesk has two aspects of job posting—hourly and fixed paid jobs.

In hourly paid job, they have specific software for members that do hourly jobs; this is to keep accurate statistic record during the time of the job. The user downloads the software from the odesk-- free of charge. To participate in hourly jobs, both parties must have this software installed in their system. Based on my experience in odesk so far, the hourly jobs rage from $5- $30 per hr. The Freelancers are those who set their specific amount to be paid per hr.

In fixed paid job, buyers decide on specific prize for the job. There’s no bargain in fixed prize. If a buyer fixed 20 articles to write for $5, it’s left for the writer to apply for the job if she agreed on the payment. This can be done and completed within the stipulated time between the writer and the buyer.


The downside, new writers might find it difficult to work with Odesk due to high professional standard of Odesk service. Moreover, to secure job in Odesk tends to be too hard. It appears that immediately job is posted at Odesk, within five minutes, fifty-five peoples are already on the queue. Most of the members have attained strong reputation in such that advertisers would select them without even wasting time searching for new writers.

I registered with Odesk last month, but up till now, I haven’t won any project though. Notwithstanding, one thing that surprises me and somehow makes me bore with Odesk is that, imagine a situation whereby the advertiser would just say “I need 25 – 800 words science related articles at fixed prize of $50”, yet people wouldn’t mind such poor & ripe-off payment of the job, but keep on climbing on one another, competing with one another! Of course it’s somehow a ripe-off article if the buyer really need original and informative article to write for. Well, for me, I skip such project. It’s a waste of time, since I can’t give you copy & paste job, then my time should be valued!

In summary, Odesk is a good place for professional freelancers but not for beginners. I suggest beginners should start with GAF—www.getafreelancer.com, where both beginners and professionals can easily get job. GAF offers free posting as well as free registration for their members. I registered with GAF for my first time and won the project right away- –1000 words article at $20. Isn’t a pretty good deal? Cool! I finished it the same day and got my payment via paypal. I still recommend Odesk for freelancers though.

No comments: